I've moved to www.halleshobbies.com
If not automatically redirected to my new site, please click the above link.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Apples, apples everywhere



On Saturday, a few families on the block got together to help harvest the apples from our neighbor's trees. 

It's a big job but the fruits of our labor really pay off.

This year 63 grocery bags of apples were picked.

The apples were all big and beautiful with very few blemishes or worms.
Amazing!



We took home about 6 bags worth. 

I set up shop in the garage so I could make a mess and not worry about it. 

Concrete washes quite nicely. 


 After countless hours of cranking the peeler, I ended up with 23 gallon size freezer bags of peeled and sliced apples ready for the next stage of processing.



So far I've dehydrated 10 trays of apples, 4 pans of apple crisp-ready to be thawed then baked and cooked up about 2.5 gallons of applesauce. 
And I still have a freezer full of bagged apples. 

I am going to have to can the rest of the applesauce I make since my freezer can't hold any more.



 

3 comments:

~*~Patty S said...

OH YUM ... I can almost smell them...what a fun and bodacious harvest

As we were driving home thru the country I was thinking how long it's been since we went apple picking

That apple peeler is a life saver I bet!
Happy October dear Halle!
oxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...






That was one big trash can of apple peels and cores. You are truly lucky to have such great neighbors.

BTW, I see you use the same cat litter I use. It's amazing how similar our shopping habits are.

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Mmmm! I'm so jealous! In our area the apples didn't do so good....the orchard near our house won't even sell any this year! :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails