Personally, I think every day should be Earth Day or at least treated as such. Being aware of what we buy, what we dump, the resources we use and how it effects our planet.
I think so many of us forget about our trash once it hits the can. Out of site, out of mind. I know I've been guilty of this.
We are fortunate to live in an area with really great curbside recycling. And I've sought out options for a few other items that aren't curbside recyclable such as #5 yogurt cups...which our county environmental center will take.
Other things we do in an effort to be eco-friendly are:
- buying in bulk at our local co-op
- shopping local which includes farmers markets, buying beef from a farmer and shopping at our small local hardware store whenever possible so we aren't wasting gas driving to the big box store.
- turning junk into art
- reusing containers for storage
- patching clothing
- making blankets from old clothing
- buying used whenever possible
- buying safe, concentrated, plant derived cleaning products for our home as well as our health and beauty products (find out more)
- grouping errands into one day or just walking for the small stuff
- drying clothes outside during the summer
- doing without or figuring out how to use what we already have
I hope some of these have inspired you to your continue efforts help keep our planet
a safe place for all living creatures.
Have anymore tips for me?
I'd love to hear what you're doing to be eco-friendly!!
PS...it's my friend Elizabeth's birthday today..stop by her blog and wish her a happy birthday!