I've moved to www.halleshobbies.com
If not automatically redirected to my new site, please click the above link.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stacks and stacks of books

When I read about Seth Apters latest collaboration idea I loved it! 
I have tons of books....both ones I've created and vintage ones.
Of course, being the procrastinator that I am...I didn't even start to gather anything until about 25 minutes ago. Boy, was I in for a surprise... I had way more books that I ever realized. 
My stack on the coffee table had to be moved to the buffet where I could use the wall to prop them up!





My book arts stack is very colorful...and fluffy.




















I tend to make books that don't have a chance of
ever laying flat. 
They must sit splayed open inviting a passerby to pick it up.













 



The edges of altered board books are probably my favorite. 
With the ripped papers hanging slightly over and the different colors of paint grazed 
across the edge by happenstance.



I also use stacks of books in decorating my house. This stack currently sits on the mantle.



As a little lift for a plant to get it some much needed sun.


For some height on a shelf.




And lastly the set of books
I refuse to stack.
They are the first thing you see when walking into my house. 



I have my Grandpa's medical books and his Norwegian Seminary book, my dad's Bible plus some poetry books from the 1800's.





Thanks for stopping by today. 
Now I must set my house back to rights...geesh...what a mess I made.

25 comments:

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Beautiful books that yove made but the books with family ties are THE best,

Seth said...

Great images. Like you, I love handmade books that burst from their bindings and pictures of journal edges too!

~*~Patty S said...

Oh WOW Halle ... your stacks are delicious and so inviting...Love your photos...great post!

Stack On!
oxo

Lynn Cohen said...

Such creativity....would love to pour through your stacks of handmade books some time. Thanks for sharing. And Grandpa's books are a gem to have!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You showed a TON of lovely books. I even recognize some of them from previous collaborations. I'm totally impressed.

Kelly Snelling said...

oh yes! those edges are fantastic!

bohemiannie! art said...

Love your stacks! Fabulous handmade books!

Carolyn Dube said...

What painty art goodness in those books!!!!

Dianne said...

fantastic collection of journals and altered books...love your stacks! and the vintage books are definitely treasures!

Martha Marshall said...

Your stacks are fabulous, as are the individual books. You made a mess? I can't imagine this creative treasure trove being a mess.

Margaret said...

Love your books Halle! the handmade ones are my favs! mx

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

WOW! You certainly love books! What a great collection!

donna joy said...

love your book art photo's-they look like fun to peruse!

Janet said...

Your stacks of books are fantastic! I wish I could look through all those journals. But most of all I love the very last photo of the old books. They're beautiful.

fairyrocks said...

Now those are some fantastic creative stacks!! Would love to be able to see and open them in person. Keep smiling and creating

Unknown said...

Wonderful textures! You have made a lot of altered books and journals!!!
I love your collection of meaningful books too ... Very precious :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful stacks! Very cool indeed!!

Amanda said...

Love the chunky journals!

Carol said...

Love your stacks - wonderful colours, and those altered boards are beautiful.

Marit said...

Thanks for stopping by at my blog today - Seth's list is so long, I still haven't visit all the participants myself... but I headed over to your blog and OHMY... I love your chunky stacks!!! And the fact that you use books as a pedestal to put a plant or a candle on... I think I'm gonna 'steal' that idea - do you mind? I have some really old books laying in the attic, and they deserve to be exposed that way!

Anonymous said...

These are some fantastically juicy stacks! xox Corrine

Andria said...

Your stacks of handmade books and journals is FANTASTIC! I would LOVE to be able to sit surrounded by them and just flip through all their pages!

Anonymous said...

great pics! my favorite is #2. that's a lot of art books!

Anonymous said...

great pics! my favorite is #2. that's a lot of art books!

Wen said...

textures out of bounds, unbound, rebounds... tempting touch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails