I've moved to www.halleshobbies.com
If not automatically redirected to my new site, please click the above link.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Birthday cake


Let me just start by saying, I am not a baker. I'm not good at it nor do I enjoy it. But my kiddos think that mom's homemade cakes and especially my frosting are the best.

My cakes are generally lopsided. I blame the oven, but it's very likely my fault.

This cake came to be because the first one I made broke into about 7 pieces when I was taking it out of the pan.  I nearly cried...



Did I mention I don't like baking...?
I made a whole new cake this morning. I left it in the pan until I was sure it had "set" so to speak.
This one came out in one piece..thank goodness.

I decided to use some of the chunks of cake to create a hill for the freshly washed Army men to make their stand upon.



This was also good to help camouflage the lopsidedness of the cake.
Since I was adding crumbly cake to the top and trying to frost it as well I needed something to cover my mistakes. Crushed up graham crackers fit the bill.  It looks a bit like sand or at least some rugged terrain if you use your imagination.

I hope he likes it...

I do know that it tastes better than it looks. :)





 

5 comments:

scantesano said...

It looks great! I think it turned out perfect! I love the hilly terrain the cake chunks made. Great job on the sand too!

Dianne said...

Brilliant! Oh, I could tell you some stories about lopsided cakes too...I did not get the "cake decorating gene" from my aunt who was a professional! But taste is just as important and thank goodness for army men! It looks great, I love it! Best wishes to the birthday boy!

~*~Patty S said...

I can see why your kids would like your cakes Halle...this one is amazing! Way to use the oopsie for hills ... proof that there are no mistakes!
Hope you all had a great weekend celebrating!
oxo

Unknown said...

Homemade birthday cakes are the best!
You did great mom!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You may not like to bake, but you did a super job of baking AND decorating this beauty. You really MUST add it to your Pinterest account.

Related Posts with Thumbnails