I've moved to www.halleshobbies.com
If not automatically redirected to my new site, please click the above link.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ragtime quilt complete!




I finished sewing the quilt yesterday morning. I would have been done on Tuesday night first I put the bobbin in wrong then broke a needle and then put the new needle in backwards so it kept breaking the thread. It was very frustrating. I knew then that it was just time to be done for the day.

After the sewing, I had to clip each seam allowance every half inch then wash it so it would fray after washing. The nylon stocking that serves as my filter on my washing machine outlet had a large fist size ball of frayed denim and flannel in it. Then the dryer lint trap was even more full of fluff. I would have taken it to a laundry mat but we don't have any around here anymore. It's a 20 min drive to the closest one.

There are several things I love about this quilt:
  1. All the flannel is from my maternity tops and my boy's flannels from when he was very small.
  2. The denim is from both mine and my hubby's old jeans. Together we've lost about 50lbs!!
  3. The "batting" I used was scraps of polar fleece that I got for free from someones "project gone wrong"
  4. This blanket is fairly heavy! This provides good sensory comfort for my boy. He needs/loves heavy blankets to help him sleep through the night.

4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an awesome quilt and a great story to go with it. It's very symbolic that you used fabrics and patterns that have meaning. This will add another layer of sensory perception for your son.

Boy can I relate to your sewing problems. You were smart to walk away. I've learned that's the only way I can continue sewing, because I'm not that good at it and I'm sure my frustration level is much lower than yours.

I can relate to your nylon stocking, but mine is on the dryer outlet. I get lots of fodder for paper making embellishments from it.

Great story and great quilt. You should be very, very proud and I know your son will be in the years ahead.

Elizabeth

John M. Mora said...

came here by way of burried treasure - wonderful quilt made from fabric that matters.

Seth said...

This is really nice...and I love the story behind the materials that you chose.

3rdEyeMuse said...

your quilt is amazing ... I would most definitely enjoy cuddling up to read a book with it wrapped all around me. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails