I've moved to www.halleshobbies.com
If not automatically redirected to my new site, please click the above link.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rusty things


My husband brought me home a great gift...one I've been asking for.

Rusty stuff!  Two brake shoes and a baggie of iron filings. Woohoo!

Of course while we was wondering around looking in the parts bins everyone kept asking him what on Earth he was doing. To which he explained that his wife wanted to rust fabric and paper. HUH!??!! Was the most common response. She's a little nuts. Yeah, he knows but loves me anyway.




I got carried away and started work wrapping things before grabbing my camera.

I pre-soaked the fabric in vinegar and salt.

This bundle is a lace work table cloth scrap wrapped around a brake shoe with a length of scrap fabric wound around to keep it all in place.


This one is done  in a very similar fashion.

I shook out the box on top of it before starting the wrapping process. Lots of good rust flakes in there.



I put both bundles in a ziploc then sprinkled a little iron filings on top for good measure.

I'm going to let them sit in the shed for a week or so.


6 comments:

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Cool....can't wait to see how it turns out! And such a sweet hubby you have to go after that stuff for you! :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How did I miss this post? OH I KNOW. I was offline yesterday due to storms! I'm totally jealous of those brake shoes and filings. I know they are going to make some lovely rusty bits.

ooglebloops said...

I am always collecting rusty things and bits from around the farm- wondering what to do with them. I always think I am going to put them all together in some kind of sculpture - maybe I ought to do this!!! Can't wait to see your end result.

Unknown said...

That will be fun to see it unwrapped :)
Your husband is sweet!

~*~Patty S said...

OK it's official Halle!
You and Elizabeth have got me itchy to rust something!!!
Mr M would really appreciate this post.
I have some embroidered "flowers" that I want to give some character too...I will have to stop 'talking' about it and "just DO IT"

thanks for the kick in the pants ;)
can't wait to see your reveal!
oxo

Margaret said...

oooo now this looks exciting!! can't wait to see the reveal AND what you do with it! love this rusty stuff so much! Mx

Related Posts with Thumbnails