I've moved to www.halleshobbies.com
If not automatically redirected to my new site, please click the above link.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Postcard Challenge week 8

 Darcy picked Cuba for this weeks challenge postcard and it definitely proved to be a challenge. 
I know so very little about Cuba...other than what I remember from history class about the Cuban Missile Crisis and Fidel Castro. 
Oh yeah and that Cuban cigars are illegal in the USA. 
None of these proved to be great inspiration. 
So I ripped a page from an old atlas...




Thadeus writes:

Greetings Maggie. Hope this finds you in good health. I took your advice and looked at the bigger picture. It is exactly that which brought me here to Cuba. A powerful "friend" sent me here on an errand of sorts. I hope it is not a fools errand. At least the weather is nice. I do hope we can meet and discuss our common interest in the near future. We both should have some time if all goes as planned very soon.
Take care, Thadeus


 I did have an old postage stamp from Cuba so that clearly made me giddy to use. The postmark was on it from a weird direction though so I improvised. :)


Here is the accompanying book page.  

Pretty simple in design this time... but it seems to have yet another grainy photograph...
hmmm...wonder what that is all about.

 

18 comments:

Dandelion and Daisy said...

This so reminds me of Ernest Hemingway.......how do you like being compared to him??!! No pressure.

~*~Patty S said...

Very cool take ... you can't go wrong with maps or text I always say and a bonus having a stamp from Cuba too...if it were me I might remember having the stamp but putting my hands on it ... well that might be another matter ;)

Cuba is a place I've always thought would be a neat place to visit...kind of unspoiled for sad circumstances...lots of beauty in decay there I think

Happy Friday Halle!
oxo

mags21 said...

a lovely postcard and I like your book page...

APG Jamie said...

Map'age is always a good thing <3

San @ Made in Hem said...

Ah, we can't always be inspired and work it out fully in just a couple days... I think your card looks wonderful with the map! I just thought it would be a great idea to take the maps of all the countries and decorate the pages of my book with them... Got to run and think out this idea... Thanks! :)

WrightStuff said...

That's great improvisation with that stamp!!

I love the mystery you've got going here.

Darcy Marshall said...

well with no inspiration you did a great job, you can never go wrong with a map, and I love repurposing ones ripped from old diaries and atlas books.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Good use of a map. I'm impressed. I am also impressed you found a stamp from Cuba. What a great find.

Maggi said...

Sometimes simple is best! Maps are so fun to create with!

Unknown said...

Cuba DOES look good on a postcard (not all countries are so photogenic!) Lucky you to find a real Cuban postage stamp! I improvised with one from Spain and heavily canceled it. heehee I'll probably find a real Cuban stamp months from now when I am looking for something else...!

gottahavemoxie said...

You can never go wrong with maps in my book! How cool you could you a stamp you already had.

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Loving the atlas pic you used!

donnalouiserodgers said...

Hmm must remember not to mail cuban cigars to America...
I love maps too, so I think your card is very fabulous.

dx

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Love the map of Cuba! Was thinking of doing a book page of it for my postcard. :)

Leialoha said...

Great use of your Cuban Stamp...and what's not to love about maps...need them for all explorations we are doing each week. much aloha, Lei.

CRAFTY WOMBLE said...

I think maps are another very traditionall postcard thing and it is good to see traditional along with the artistic creations :)

Jen said...

Like the map, the rounded corners are a nice touch too.
Jen x

serendipity said...

Great use of the map and I like the page you've done for it.
jan

Related Posts with Thumbnails